Alexander Faribault House
Alexander Faribaul House
12 First Avenue, Faribault
Please contact RCHS at 507-332-2121 to schedule a tour.
Admission is $2.00 per person.
RCHS members and children under 5 free.
The Alexander Faribault House was built in the Greek Revival style in 1853 by Alexander Faribault for a cost of $4000.00. The Faribault family lived in the house for a few years, moving a few years later to a large brick mansion on the bluffs overlooking the Straight River. The house was used as a civic center and as a private home. The house was saved from destruction in 1945 by RCHS and has since gone through several renovations as the building has been stabalized.
Today the Faribault House displays pieces belonging to the Faribault family and other early settlers. The house is available for birthday parties and other events. For more details see our site rental page.
Alexander Faribault was a second generation fur trader who first came to the Cannon River Valley in 1826. He traded furs with the Wahpekute Dakota Indians. Alexander traded out of many posts along the rivers of Rice County, one of which, became the city of Faribault. After the area was opened up for settlement Alexander had the materials for a frame house brought in by ox cart from St. Paul and Hastings.
As one of the founders of the city that bears his name, Alexander was interested in many different aspects of city life. He was active in milling, railroads and banking. Additionally, he made large gifts of money and lands to local schools and the Catholic and Episcopal churches. Alexander also took an interest in civic life. He served as a government interpreter at the treaties of 1851, as a representative to the territorial legistlature, on the local school board and as the first postmaster of Faribault.